Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Wed 15/07/09 – 01:18

Bloggity blog! I've got an internet connection! Quick!

So, I'm back in my room (I'm still paying for it, even if I only plan to sleep in it twice more) in the delightfully rainy Nottingham. I successfully drove up here in just over two hours (without my wheeled contraption of choice turning into a fireball, remarkably) in blinding sunshine to unnecessarily loud old-school rock, which is rapidly turning into a hobby of sorts and is surprisingly fun. If only there was air conditioning and petrol didn't cost money, it would be awesome.

I digress, though. I'm here until tomorrow afternoon for, in case you somehow can't guess, my graduation ceremony. I expect it'll be comprised of 2% collecting degree, 98% hand-clapping and wishing the room wasn't so warm. On the plus side: GOWNS. If you've seen my winter wardrobe at all then you'll know I'm a sucker for billowy, pretentious outfits in the spectrum of grey, so I'm obviously terribly overexcited at the prospect of flapping around in a black tent for the morning in a silly hat. No really, I'm that sad. And smiling at the notion as I type. Yes.
The parents are being summoned for the occasion (My sister will spend the ceremony on top of a mountain. In the rain. In Wales. Poor thing.), but that's hardly news, as Dad in particular practically live in Nottingham these days with his work on Jubilee campus and CCAN (it'll apparently be open soon – honest). I'll let you know how it goes, but afterward I'm hauling back down south to my futon and noodle-based dinners.

The 'job' is okay. Myself and two other girls are spending ten til six on weekdays doing a process called 'logging'. This entails watching unedited camera footage, known as 'rushes', for documentaries they're doing, and then writing down what happens in it – what the cameras are doing every time they change angle, what can be seen, what's being said and when every thing happens. It's laborious and slow (it took me six hours to go through one hour of rushes today), but essential for putting together the good bits later on to make an actual programme in the editing suite, which we might get to look at later on. It's a bit tiresome, but I'm happy doing it because you have to pay attention constantly, and that keeps my brain ticking over, stopping my consciousness from imploding with boredom. This is a Good Thing. What's not good is that I spent seven hours of Monday watching horrifically graphic footage of a breast reduction. Sure, you become desensitised after the first twenty minutes, but I don't want to make a habit of typing 'Close-up of doctor stitching nipples.' Ick.

The lack of money is starting to bother me though. It looks like I'll only get expenses bac at the end, and it's costing me £4.40 in tube fare alone every day, never mind lunch and stuff. Or rent. Bah. So, I'm making an effort to offer my soul to anyone who'll employ me. Unfortunately, it looks like everyone else is as well, but we'll see how it goes.

Am liking the flat, though. Sure, I've still got no fridge because they couldn't fit it in the lift, and there's no bed, sofa or internet yet, but it's a nice space (art deco – 1930s build) and the views really are absolutely stunning. I enjoy just staring out the windows over central London. I'll try and take some photos to illustrate. Laura, Maddy and the elusive Boyd are coming down on Saturday to see if it's viable for us, and look at other houses. It'll be chaos.

And now, to make the most of being in an actual bed. *Sprawls*

(That said, the futon is kind of comfy...)

No comments:

Post a Comment