Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sun 19/07/09 – 16:27

I must confess that I cannot remember a time when I found myself in a position such as now, where nothing really needs doing. Yes, I need to find a job, hang up the clothes that are still lying on the floor and finish some of the work I've been doing for my dad, but none of it needs to be done immediately. Nonetheless, I might have a prod at all three later.

I still have no job, obviously, but work experience is puttering along nicely and another company has asked if I could do one day a week of work experience for them. I may well take them up on it, because it's slightly more my sort of thing than the current placement. That said, the lovely Glynis (a cheery Scottish lady) has just rung me up to tell me that I'm going to go on a shoot tomorrow in Brixton, which should be interesting. Apparently we're filming the lady whose breast reduction I got to look at in such graphic detail to see how the operation has gone. Boobs ahoy. Lovely. I shall have to leave my prudish side in a cupboard when I go.

London is still proving interesting and quite liveable, though I am getting progressively more concerned about money. Damn. Still, I get generous expenses paid weekly, it turns out, for by my 'employers'. I may need to get a move on with getting a job after all.

The flat is still nice, improved by the fact that I now have a bed! Huzzah! And the internet! Still no fridge, alas, so my diet is largely noodles once again, but I like it. Laura came to visit this weekend (Boydy fell out of a plane and thus couldn't make it or something. What a shock.) and, after traipsing all over south-east London (with Maddy, for some reason) browsing, we have pretty much decided to live here for the now. This makes me happy. So, it should be Boydy, Laura and I living here for at least six months from September, though I'm evidently here already. Now I can bring down some more of my stuff and set up properly. :) I'll let you know if we have a house-warming do.

So yes, Laura stayed over Friday to Saturday, Maddy joined us on Saturday, and Leeanne (abusing my proximity to High Wickham) joined us Saturday, departing today. A right hotchpotch of friends, I tell you. Leeanne got to join us on our jaunt to Clapham for house-hunting, which was probably a bit odd. Then we met up with Peter & Lizzy in Angel for dinner, which was very pleasant. That prompted today's rendezvous, which saw Leeanne, Peter and I trawling through the British Museum looking mainly at stuff from Medieval Europe (I really do love the British Museum. I am such a history geek). It left me really wanting a replica copy of the Lewis Chessmen. One day, I tell you.

Leeanne's midday departure was followed by a brief yomp by Peter and I up to the top of Hampstead Heath (which I'm pretty close to). It turns out it's nice and breezy up there so, inspired by some kite-fliers, I'm going to pick up my kite from home when I nip back to Nottingham next weekend for Tom's 21st/to clear out 339 and have a go at losing it up that hill. It's all excitement, I tell you. Mind you, I'm seriously threatening to go to a re-enactment show at Sutton Hoo in three weeks, so it's amazing how quickly you can waste your week.

Okay, time to go have a power nap; the world is tilting nastily before my eyes. Honestly, my balance is shot – it feels like I'm on a boat half the time at the minute. Maybe it's swine flu. :D
I leave you with a fun game I invented driving back after graduation.

Required: A long stretch of road, a vehicle, a can of Red Bull, loud rock music, worrying fatigue.
Aim: To not fall asleep and crash. See how many miles you can drive whilst holding a swig of Red Bull under your tongue before the burning sensation becomes too painful to continue doing so. Continue until the can is empty, you beat a set target, or the sugar high becomes too intense to drive safely. Red Bull is the recommended energy drink of choice, as it contains the least toxic waste. It's fun. Honest.

1 comment: